I am a firm believer that God gives us different people to fit in different pieces of our puzzle. Some of these people are life-giving and some are full of what we will call teachable moments. However, the ones He sends me that join in on my mayhem are the best.Those ones are my favorite.
Case in point, my friend Megan. She’s good for craft fairs and antique shops. Our days together usually involve a list of places to check out from yard sales to antique shops. Sometimes we strike gold on our shopping adventures and other times we end up at a shop with entirely too many mannequins in costumes. Either way it’s an adventure. Our favorite place to go on an adventure is the auction house. It’s like a yard sale but better. Here are the reason why we love them so….
- It is beyond casual dress code. No need to dress nice for this event which works for us as our summer wardrobe consist of athletic shorts and a t-shirt. You’d stand out if you dressed any nicer.
- You can bring your own food and not just a snack.I am talking about an actual meal here. We’ve brought dinner before. However, this location serves salad, lasagna and bread on a paper plate. Oh and there’s pie.Sausage and biscuits have also known to make an appearance.
- Estate sales are the best because you spend half the night figuring out what kind of person owned all this and why they had a santa collection THAT LARGE. We had one sale that everything had an asian flair to it. Another had the most horrific gigantic bedroom set I have ever seen and it still haunts me.
- The prices are down right ridiculous. I have seen full dining room sets go for $150. The bargains will make you want to open a store where you resell all the stuff you find and turn a profit.But then you realize how much work that would actually take and you have zero storage space so you let this dream go.
- It’s fun! Bidding on items is a surprising adrenaline rush. The bidding happens so fast you don’t have time to think and you just put your number up and place your bid. It’s a little intimidating the first time but you get the hang of it.
The best part though, is all the life that happens in between bids where we sit on an old church pew talking about life. Sometimes we talk life and sometimes we dream about what we would do if we could actually
buy some of those items we see. Or if we were on Fixer Upper and Joanna decorated our houses for us. We laugh at the absurd items the auctioneer tries to sell and we silently curse those who actually do own a store and out bid us on items we really really want. Other times I make Megan buy an old wooden high chair for $10 for no other reason than “Hey you’re pregnant you need one! Oh look you won!” I’m such a good friend.I’m pretty sure the chair is in her basement.
While the items we buy are neat and it’s fun, doing life with a friend is better. Even when we come up empty-handed, we have had fun and we laughed along the way. Friends who join in on my mayhem are the best and you should totally check out an auction near you.
*This post had creepy santa pictures among other things to go along with it, but technology and I are not getting along this week.